Four Day School Week in Marion County
It is a drastic measure taken by the Marion County School Board.
Schoolchildren will go to class four days a week in the Fall of 2012.
Some school board members said their hands are tied because of budget cuts which add up to $24 million dollars. During Tuesday night's meeting, school Superintendent Jim Yancy said the next school year is safe, but unless the economy dramatically bounces back, the district will push forward for a four-day school week for the following year.
The vote passed 4-1. School board member, Jackie Porter was the dissenting vote.
"I just think it's just one of the worst things that the school district could even consider," Porter said. "I'm mad, I'm upset. It's bad for families, it's bad for the economy of Marion County and it sends out the wrong message to future companies coming to this town."
The move is said to save $4.4 million. According to Marion County School District Public Information Officer, Kevin Christian, that figure came from directors within the school district's departments who looked at daily expenses involved.
School board member, Angie Boynton says there is still time.
"That gives us time to bring it to the community, have more community input and I think it's always wise to be proactive."
Under a four day school week, school days will become longer by 75 minutes to make up for the extra day off. Christian said that no layoffs are part of this deal. The decision on whether Marion County students will have Mondays or Fridays off is still up for debate.
- Marion County Highlights School Bus Safety Week
- Four Derby Hopefuls Have Ties to Marion County
- Four Cases of Meningitis in Florida... All in Marion County
- Amber Alert Issued For A Four-Year-Old Marion County Boy
- Four Men Arrested For Burglary in Marion County
- Four Day School Week Moving Forward
- Four Cases of Swine Flu Confirmed at Dixie County High School
- Four Alachua County Schools Get New Principals
- Paddling Scheduled to Return to Marion County Elementary Schools
- Marion Schools Make-Up Days