Pickax Murder Leaves Hawthorne in Shock
Neighbors say he was a quiet man---who kept busy renovating the home he moved into just a few months ago
The murder of William Hudnall, 51, of Hawthorne was so gruesome, he was identified by his dental records.
As a mother and daughter sit in the Alachua County jail on first degree premeditated murder charges, the Hawthorne community can't help but analyze the events that put them there.
"They didn't look threatening, they didn't have that appearance that they were killers," said Jasmine Mercado, a Hawthorne resident.
Guenevere Hudnall, 19, and her mother Stephanie Hudnall, 41, were arrested late Friday night for the murder of William Hudnall.
According to deputies, Guenevere killed her father in his sleep, with a pickax. Her mom Stephanie made the 911 call shortly after.
TV20 was at the crime scene, capturing what appears to be a smirk from Guenevere as her weeping mother is consoled.
"He was doing a lot of improvements to an older home, very unique architecture-we were glad to see some improvement happening in the neighborhood," said Ellen Vause, Interim City Manager.
Hudnall was the new face in town--- he just turned on his water in March.
Neighbors continue to talk about the crime they never saw coming.
"I heard he was retired from the military and his son was on his way home- he had just been to Iraq," said Marcus Sammons, owner of Sam's Garage.
"Man I couldn't believe it-- somebody's child could kill their father like that," he said.
According to detectives, the women told law enforcement their motive was Hudnall's social security benefits.
Neighbors say Hudnall had been living by himself, but occasionally, they'd see his daughter Guenevere helping with yard work.
A few flowers have been placed on the front lawn of his home as a memorial to a man few in Hawthorne knew.
- Hawthorne Teacher on Administrative Leave
- 2003 Hawthorne Murder Trial Begins...
- Still No Rest for the Prosecution or the Defense in the Hawthorne Murder Trial...
- Verdict in Hawthorne Murder Trial Could Be Just A Day Away...
- Not Guilty Verdict in the Hawthorne Murder Trial
- Suspected Murder in Hawthorne
- What Did They Witness? Still No Arrests in Hawthorne Murder
- Women Accused of Hawthorne Murder Plead Guilty
- Trayvon Martin's Parents Shocked by Verdict
- Dead Cheerleader's Teammates in Shock