UF's Neon Green Pond Not Toxic
"I noticed the color changed... it was usually clear, but today it's green," said Musset Apolon, a junior at the University of Florida.
It may look like antifreeze, but the Gator swimming in the neon green pond next to Graham Residence Hall is in no danger. Green dye is helping maintenance workers find something they've been looking for.
"In our world, this is relatively a minor leak," said Curtis Reynolds, Physical Plant Director at UF.
Over the past few days, UF maintenance workers have been making a lot of chilled water at one of the campus plants.
"We have a closed loop system, and when we have to add additional water, called make-up water to the system, it signals us that there's a possible leak in our closed loop somewhere," he said.
The green pond that's popped up is just down the road from the plant where workers added the green food coloring.
"It verifies that we do have a leak within this loop, we've narrowed it down to this vicinity," he said, outside of Graham Hall.
"No down side effects to any of the occupants of the buildings, we're continuously running water into the system, they're still getting air conditioning into their buildings the leak is invisible to them," he said.
The loop with the leak supplies chilled water to over 20 buildings on campus. Maintenance workers will watch for green dye in other areas that may pop up in the coming days- but so far the only confirmed leak is beside the residence hall, which will be occupied by summer camp students until August.
- Florida's Toxic Assets
- 'Bambooville 2' To be Removed from UF's Campus
- UF's Academic Future Bright Despite State's Dull Economy
- UF's New Partnership with the Department of Veteran's Affairs
- UF's Large Animal Hospital Puts Out Horse Owner Alert: "Bad EPM Drug"
- Man Attacked on UF's Campus
- High Hopes for UF's Pediatric Brain Tumor Program
- FIRE: UF's Insurance Not Enough To Rebuild
- Students React to Sexual Battery on UF's Campus
- Gainesville Porters Community Celebrates UF's First Football Game