Drug Offenders given a Choice by OPD
Drug offenders have a choice in Ocala of going to jail or getting a fresh start on life.
The Drug Market Initiative at the Ocala Police Department targets neighborhoods where drug and crime run rampant. Undercover officers gather evidence against those committing drug crimes. But instead of arresting them, some are given a second chance.
OPD qualifies individuals based on their previous records. Those chosen can elect to go through a 9-step program that helps them with education and finding a job.
If the individuals are involved in a drug crime again, they are prosecuted.
Two call-ins have been performed by OPD so far, keeping 10 people out of jail.
- Drug Court an Alternative to Jail Time for Some Offenders
- Stay Connected with the New OPD App
- OPD Searching for Identity Thief
- OPD Chief Meets on Stand Your Ground
- OPD Patrol
- OPD arrest man asleep over the steering wheel of a stolen vehicle
- Council votes to reinstate OPD Chief Greg Graham
- OPD investigates armed robbery at Snowbirds Bar & Grill
- OPD: Pregnant woman recovering from injures after being attacked by enraged boyfriend
- Fla. College Presidents Given Expensive Perks