Drug Offenders given a Choice by OPD
Drug offenders have a choice in Ocala of going to jail or getting a fresh start on life.
The Drug Market Initiative at the Ocala Police Department targets neighborhoods where drug and crime run rampant. Undercover officers gather evidence against those committing drug crimes. But instead of arresting them, some are given a second chance.
OPD qualifies individuals based on their previous records. Those chosen can elect to go through a 9-step program that helps them with education and finding a job.
If the individuals are involved in a drug crime again, they are prosecuted.
Two call-ins have been performed by OPD so far, keeping 10 people out of jail.
- Drug Court an Alternative to Jail Time for Some Offenders
- Stay Connected with the New OPD App
- OPD Searching for Identity Thief
- OPD Chief Meets on Stand Your Ground
- OPD Patrol
- Alachua County Commissioners Make a Choice about CHOICES
- Fla. College Presidents Given Expensive Perks
- Citra Murder Suspect Apprehended, Given No Bond
- Boys Battling Cancer Given VIP Treatment at Gatornationals
- Einstein School Given Alternative School Rating and Is Not in Danger of Closing