Finding A Balance With Prescription Pill Laws
The good intentions of state lawmakers to crack down on prescription drug abuse could be taking a toll on people with proper prescriptions.
The most recent bill tightening regulations on prescription pills went into effect July 1st, an effort to combat a problem which may have others suffering.
In 2010, 98 of the top 100 doctors dispensing Oxycodone nationally were here in Florida. A new law is designed to put an end to prescription drug overdose deaths in Florida, but the laws have become a pain for people who really need medication.
The new restrictions on prescriptions, like the one Sandy Jones of Trenton needs, has become a pain in her neck.
Jones said; "it's just silly how the law and the government are controlling our doctors to take care of us."
Jones takes Percocet for a pinched nerve she says sends shooting pain down her arm. She used to get her prescription from her doctor in Trenton, but he now refers her to a pain management physician in Gainesville.
Retired University of Florida pharmacy professor Paul Doering says many physicians are intimidated by the laws, backing out of the pain medication business all together.
Doering said; "the delicate balance between the physician being concerned about repercussions either losing his license or going to jail or what not he simply will say i'm sorry I can't continue to treat you with this medication."
Doering says as legislation in Florida tightens on both physicians and consumers, the problem will simply move elsewhere.
He says; "what i suspect will happen is that these clinics will pick up and move to another state in fact i have evidence already that Georgia is now feeling the fallout."
- Unintended Consequence of Prescription Pill Laws
- Crimes Against Seniors- Woman is Scammed for Her Prescription Pills
- FDLE Arrests Chemist for Switching Prescription Pills for Over-the-Counter Drugs
- Oxycodone in Deaths Are Down, But Prescription Pills Still Outnumber Illicit Drugs
- Number of Deaths from Prescription Pills Down Across the State
- Suspect Jumps Over Counter to Steal Prescription Pills
- Florida Prescription Pill Tracking Database
- Deputies: Prescription Pill Addiction Is An Epidemic
- New Market of Prescription Pill Dealers?
- Prescription Pill Theft at CVS Pharmacy