Holiday Weekend DUI's
This holiday weekend, 16 DUI arrests were made, that's just in Alachua county alone- another 11 in Marion county.
"They take three hours to complete from start to finish," said Sgt. Jason Levy with the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
He says a lot goes into a DUI investigation, like field sobriety tests.
"Some of those tests are designed for failure," said Carey Meldon, a Gainesville attorney.
Since last June, his firm has handled 68 DUI cases.
"Once there's a citation written, you are charged with DUI," he said.
Meldon says the average cost of a first time DUI is around $8,000.
Aside from the obvious, Meldon says DUI's can be avoided by knowing your constitutional rights.
"If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer, you're only required to give the officer your insurance information, your drivers license and your vehicle registration," he said.
"We don't just look at the field sobriety, we look at talking with the person, how they were driving their car," said Levy.
Levy says it's a business, that doesn't always end well.
"The clubs and bars and restaurants are there to make money, because they're a business, but unfortunately once they finish making their business and sale that way-- hey it's 2:00, time to go...and we have to pick up the pieces," he said.
- DUI Checkpoint during Holiday Weekend
- Holiday DUI Crackdown
- Mayor Craig Lowe's Receipt From the Night Of His DUI
- New Video of Mayor Lowe's DUI Arrest Raises Questions of Preferential Treatment
- Dash Cam Video Released from Mayor Craig Lowe's DUI Arrest
- What's the Next Step for Mayor Lowe Following His DUI Arrest?
- Congressman Yoho's son arrested with DUI
- CLOSED Due To Holiday
- Weekend Hunger Backpack Program Seeking Holiday Donations
- 'Christmas for the Community' Makes Holiday Wishes Come True