The hottest commodity in Columbia county appears to be air conditioning units. It doesn't matter if they are window units or outside condenser units, scores have been disappearing from homes and businesses in Lake City and outlying areas. Police officers said at least 11 units have been stolen in the last month including one last week. However, there are few leads as to who may be responsible. Investigators said they aren't sure what's happening to the cooling equipment but that the cost is adding up.
"The window units go anywhere from 200 to 1000 dollars depending on the unit ... outside condensing units are between 2000 to 4000 dollars," said Captain John Blanchard with the Lake City Police Department.
To see a full report, watch the video on the right side of the page.
- Authorities In Marion County Looking For Thieves Who Stole Car And Credit Cards
- Law Hopes To Deter Copper Thieves
- Jewelry Thieves
- Gas Thieves Arrested
- Marion County Detectives Search for Three Wal-Mart Television Thieves
- Police Investigate Thieves Stealing Checks Across Fla.
- Thieves Busted After Pawning Stolen Goods
- Thieves Targeting Ford Trucks In Marion County
- Thieves Steal Christmas Gifts from Broward County Family
- Trio of Thieves Use Stolen Credit Cards to Buy Electronics