High School Football Player Dies During Camp
Tragedy has struck a Georgia football team in town for a football camp.
The Fitzgerald High School football team out of Southern Georgia arrived at the Florida Bible Camp near O'Leno State Park on Friday, and according to authorities, Don'terio J. Searcy, 16, was found unresponsive 30 minutes after Tuesday morning's football practice.
Searcy was transported to the hospital, and was pronounced dead shortly after.
Detectives are unsure if Searcy's death was caused by football practice or a previous medical condition. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
Grief counselors were sent to the camp for Searcy's teammates.
Searcy was a rising junior defensive lineman at Fitzgerald High School.
- High School Freshman Raped During Fourth Period
- Last Chance to Get Noticed For Area High School Football Players
- Third victim dies in Chardon High School Shooting
- Eastside High School Athlete Dies
- No Camping At Alachua County Fairgrounds During Gatornationals
- Attorney Says Boy Did Not Intend To Shoot Anyone During High School Shooting
- First Day of High School Football Practice
- 19-year-old Dies During Hiking Accident in Jonesville
- Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
- Emotions Run High as Commissioners Face Questions During Biomass Plant "Workshop"