Local Leader Called Driving Force Behind Community Center Opening
She said it took eight long years.
But one local leader's vision for her community has become a reality with the grand opening of the Archer Community Center on Tuesday.
Calling it the happiest day of her life, Archer Commissioner, Roberta Lopez, helped cut the ribbon on the new center.
Community members and leaders -- armed with fans and umbrellas to deal with the heat -- came out to celebrate the opening of the center. It will be used as a multi-purpose facility.
Several speakers credited Lopez as the driving force behind the center, calling her a bulldog, ball of fire, dynamo and the only person who could squeeze blood out of a turnip.
But Lopez turned it around, saying it was a project that took the entire community.
Over a million dollars was raised through federal, state, and local funds as well as private donations.
- Community Leaders Call for Peace in Wake of Racially-Charged Violence
- Archer Celebrates Grand Opening of Community Center
- The Cancer Center Opens at North Florida Regional Medical Center
- Alachua Call Center Up and Running Again
- The Big Picture, Drive-in Theatre Opening Soon
- Contract with Progress Energy forces cchools to open in the Dark
- Community Leader Killed In Car Wreck
- Community Leader Honored with Sports Complex
- Instead of Jail, Some Leaders Want Community Service
- Friends, Family, and Colleagues Gather To Honor Community Leader at Retirement Party