Month After Roof Collapse, Queen of Peace Students Celebrate First Day of School
There's still a hole in the roof.
But that didn't stop nearly 400 young students from marching into Queen of Peace Academy for their first day of school, today.
It was only last month that the roof over Walsh Hall -- a building used as the kitchen area -- caved in.
But that didn't stop the start of school.
Some students were putting together art work. Others were working on a song and dance in their Chinese class.
And the school -- which was founded eleven years ago with around 60 students -- has another reason to look forward.
Queen of Peace has been nominated for a Blue Ribbon Award.
School leaders will find out in September whether they won the award.
Officials say they are waiting to hear back from insurance adjusters before they begin repairs to the roof.
- Woman Hospitalized After Church Roof Collapses On Her
- Queen of Peace Awarded
- Peaceful Paths Day After The Fire
- Student Opens Fire at Md. High School on First Day of Classes
- New Alachua County Charter School Ready for First Day of School
- First Day Of Trial in Murder of UF Student Michelle Herndon
- Queen Bee Puts Spotlight on Honeybee Day
- Local Queen's Jubilee Celebration
- Loften High School Dean Behind Bars after Accused of Having Sex with Student
- First Day of High School Football Practice