Thousands of Gators Move in to University Dorms
The First Day of Dorms opening usually means more traffic, students, and lines for Gainesville Residents
But TV20's Chris Gilmore tells us how a new "aide" is designed to lighten the load.
"We're just happy to have them back and go gators"
Matthew Scruggs and the rest of the housing staff at the University of Florida will welcome 7600 new gators to campus this week... marking the opening of dorms for move in.
The Department of Housing has "Gator Aide," on their side this year to help them deal with the large number.
The Gator-Aide is not the popular thirst quencher even though the 200 UF Gator-Aide volunteers are keeping hydrated and working.
"They came in yesterday they got trained yesterday and today they are an extra set of hands for students and parents."
Gator-Aiders helped new residents with all aspects of moving, a process UF Senior, Angela Hunter says they understand
"It's horrible so i wouldve liked the help, It would been nice."
Volunteers like Tyler Chacon will be stationed throughout the move in period assisting with everything from traffic to heavy lifting.
"Obviously moving in can be very difficult, the elevators are a little older and they dont know where they're going so we just come and go over to their stuff and say hey what can we do for you and we grab the dollies, put their stuff on their and they're always very grateful."
Shuttle services are running through the more crowded dorm areas this week to help ease traffic and nerves.
One trip closer to a place Scruggs and UF are hoping new gators this week can be comfortable
"we wanna make their residence hall room, their home away from home."
As keys are delivered and the bags unpack, home doesn't see that far away. Chris Gilmore Tv-20 news
- UF President Moves Into Dorm
- Gator Growl Moves To Flavet Field
- Stabbing at Florida State Dorm
- UF Moves Forward With Reitz Union Renovation Despite Funding Gap
- Independent Florida Alligator set to move locations
- Weapons, Explosives Found in Dorm at UCF
- Should College Athletes Get Paid? Former Gator Players Weigh In
- New Dorm Could Provide Unique Services to UF Students
- UF Dorms- Working Away The Waste
- "Start-up Dorm" Planned for Innovation Square