Future Merger For Levy County Fire Departments
Levy County Commissioners are looking to make a change some say should have happened a long time ago. Many of the volunteer fire departments are out of compliance with state fire standards. Only a handful of fire stations in Levy County have paid workers. One option would be to merge the professional stations with the volunteer stations.
Chairman of the Levy County Fire Advisory Board, Lamar Stegall, says the way its always been, conflicts with state statute.
Stegall says, "its wonderful that these people are out there doing the best they can for our citizens and for our community, but if they don't meet the state statute we shouldn't be giving them money."
Commissioners did not decide on anything today and made it clear they would not be getting rid of any volunteer firefighters.
Stegall says they won't have the drafts of solutions until the first of next year.
- The Future of Levy County
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- School Bus Beatdown, Levy County Driver Fired
- 300 acre Brush Fire in Levy County is Growing
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Without Generators, But Will Have Them In The Future
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- City and County Meet to Discuss Future of Koppers Superfund Site
- Potential Merger of Metcalfe and Rawlings Elementary Schools
- School Board to Remove Merger Recommendation
- Gainesville City Commission Opposed to Police Merger Discussion