Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Housing for Homeless Vets: Is the Debate Over?
A hotly contested plan to house 112 homeless veterans in an old Gainesville hotel appears to be off the table. But it's not dead yet.
That means a lawsuit against it is still going forward, for now.
On June 14th Alachua County Commissioners voted 3-2 to allow a zoning change which would allow the Gainesville Hotel and Conference Center to be used by the Alachua County Housing Authority for a transitional housing project for homeless veterans.
That decision led to a fire-storm of opposition, which now may be a moot point.
ACHA has until the first of the year to find a new location for transitional housing. There is an Alachua County Veterans Advisory Board meeting on Monday night at the American Legion in Northeast Gainesville at 5:30 where Monahan will discuss options moving forward.
- Plan to House Homeless Vets Presented to Vets for the First Time
- Plan to House Homeless Vets Gains Support
- Controversy Over Gainesville Hotel & Conference Center Over?
- Is The Recession Over?
- VA Grants Extension for Homeless Vets Facility
- Debate Over College Tuition at Public Universties Heats Up
- Debate Raise Tensions Over City Commission Seat
- Debate Over The Cost Of Bus Service
- Debate Continues Over "University Corners" Project
- $5.5 Million Towards Housing Homeless Veterans