Pastor Jones Moving Out
"I'm glad to see them go," said Angie Cutler of Gainesville, who adds; there are no tears with this goodbye.
"It's nice to know we'll be safe, and not have to get notices from Homeland Security anymore," she said.
Pastor Terry Jones and his Dove World Outreach Center are moving out of northwest Gainesville, and a Christian school is moving in.
"We are at max-capacity at our current location," said Evan Pitts, Cornerstone Vice President.
The 11-year-old Cornerstone Christian Academy is set to buy the property; that needs some work.
The city approved a special-use permit that would allow Cornerstone to build it's new campus on the property.
"Let it lay silent for a while, first thing we're going to do is change signs on the property, make sure everyone knows that this Cornerstone Academy which has no association with the Dove," said Pitts.
School leaders say they are going to need a lot of outside help, to turn what's been the source of conflict into a place of peace.
"Obviously the biggest thing is we need money," said Judy Jones, Head of School.
The school is purchasing Dove's 20-acre lot for $1.1 million, but will have to raise five $500,000 for a down payment by November 1st.
"We're going through all of our families and close friends, actually putting a capitol campaign together," said Pitts.
Hoping others will appreciate the change that students will bring to the property.
"They have a message of love, and by being able to take that into the community it would just show Gainesville and the world; the message that was portrayed by Dove, is not the message of Christianity," said Jones.
Cutler says she's ready for the change.
"For retail value of the homes, and everything, I think it will be a good thing overall, long-term for the neighborhood," she said.
Cornerstone has also purchased an adjacent lot, making the total price tag for their new school- $1.5 million.
As part of the contract, the four dove world outreach pastors, including Terry Jones, have agreed to relocate outside of Alachua county once the property is purchased.
- A Local Muslim Leader Has Faith that Pastor Jones Will Change His Mind...
- TV20 Sits Down with Pastor Terry Jones
- Pastor Terry Jones Causing Insecurity Here...
- Buck Bay Residents Still Moving Out
- Remaining Seminary Lane Residents Moving Out
- Florida Officials Discuss Moving Prisoners Out of State
- Glen Springs Manor Residents Plan to Move Out ASAP
- Local Pastor Arrested for Grand Theft and Racketeering
- Local Pastor and Islamic Relations Director Meet to Discuss Controversial Sign
- Family Life Church Members Meet to Discuss Pastor