Death toll stands at 51 in Moore, OK. Medical examiner told to expect at least 40 more bodies...20 of them children.
Ticking Time Bomb At Putnam County Jail
One North Central Florida sheriff says there is a ticking time bomb at the county jail. Sheriff Jeff Hardy says there's one officer to fifty inmates, and in their jail built to hold 234 inmates, they're housing 317.
The jail has no air conditioning and on some days Hardy says can reach a sweltering 114 degrees. Thirty inmates have been shipped to Bradford County to make room, but Hardy says its up to county commissioners to find a resolution.
"they have to do something with the jail and they know that and i know their worried about funding and other issues but we can no longer choose to ignore this because its not going away."
We tried reaching Putnam County Commissioners. One returned our call.
Speaking on their behalf, Putnam County Administrator Rick Leary told TV 20 over the phone that they aren't turning their back on the issue, but a project this costly is going to take time.
- Inmates at the Alachua County Jail Are Using Their "Time" Wisely
- Trip to Grocery Store Ends in Jail Time for Bradford County Family
- Bradford County Ex-Coach Gets Jail Time In Vegas Casino Death
- NYPD Bomb Squad Gives All-Clear In Times Square
- Drug Court an Alternative to Jail Time for Some Offenders
- Silver Alert in Place for Missing Putnam County Man
- Putnam County Robbery/Homicide
- Putnam County Fugtives in Kentucky
- Hunter fatally shot in Putnam County
- Fay floods roads in Putnam County