$179,000 Alachua County Jail Study Moves Forward
The keys to the Alachua County Jail will remain with Sheriff Sadie Darnell, despite a tumultuous meeting with county commissioners today.
Commissioners voted to go forward with a $179 thousands dollar jail study over Darnell's protests. Members of the jail employee union support it because they say a study could improve efficiency and savings.
The study will analyze staffing levels, management practices, and employees' opinions among other things.
The Sheriff presented a compromise that would provide more staff, without the study...saying without a commitment by the board to hire more detention officers, she would not manage the jail in the future. But Commissioners made a compromise of their own, committing to hire the number of staffers recommended in the study and to negotiate another inter-local agreement with the Sheriff.
- County commission still moving forward with study
- Byerly, Martin, Hutchinson Move Forward to November Elections
- Commission moves forward on Amendment 11
- Alachua County Jail Study
- Study Ordered for the Alachua County Jail
- City, County Commissioners Ready to Move Forward after Joint Meeting
- Alachua County Commissioners Cut $470,000 from Proposed ASO Budget
- New Body Scanner at Alachua County Jail
- Runaway Mom Turns Herself In To The Alachua County Jail
- Inmate dies in Alachua County Jail