City of Gainesville Cleared of Negligence in 2007 Death of Andrew Arosemena
The City of Gainesville is not responsible for the shooting death of a man in a city parking garage four years ago. It took an 8th Circuit Court jury 3 1/2 hours to return with a verdict clearing the city of any negligence.
Andrew Arosemena's mother Patricia Kelleher filed suit in early 2010, saying negligence contributed to her son's murder. Arosemena was shot in the downtown parking garage by Okpara Nelson after a Florida football game.
Off camera, Kristopher Arosemena said his family did what was right for his brother, and despite the verdict he's glad the trial is over.
No security measures in the downtown parking garage have changed since the murder. Marrafino plans to meet with the family to consider what to do next.
- Watchdog Group Files Complaint Against UF for Negligent Animal Deaths
- City shuts down in-home restaurant
- Gainesville community mourning loss of swimming coach, leader
- Lake City Officer Cleared in Shooting
- Gainesville Man Cleared of Child Kidnapping
- Waterproofing Alachua County Since 1956
- Florida Jury Awards $1.2 Billion in Negligence Case
- Suspect in Death of Lake City Man is at Large
- Lake City Police Still Investigating Accidental Shooting Death of 11-Year Old Boy
- Lake City Pain Doctor Could Be Charged With Death of Many Patients