EBT Expiration Date?
The American flag food stamp EBT card is being replaced with a new one.
Something one card holder confirmed after calling customer service.
The catch is, no one knows when the old card will stop working.
"If they don't know about this, they're going to be stuck," said Rebecca Williams of Ocala.
"I went and filled up my freezer because my understanding is that by Monday, there's not going to be any more active EBT cards," she said.
Monday isn't the deadline, according to DCF, but it is coming.
Florida's 10-year-old EBT cards are being phased out.
"They've been around for so long, many people's strips on the back of the card are not working anymore," said Morgan Rockey, DCF spokesperson.
When the EBT cards will stop working, the government hasn't said.
"There's been no deadline set, we wont be doing that until the majority of card holders have already been issued the new card," she said.
According to DCF, right now, replacing the old card, is completely voluntary.
"When you do call us to get that new card, it will deactivate your old card," she said.
DCF workers suggest calling customer service at the end of the month.
"If you call us at that point in time, the new card will come in three to five days, and that way you're not losing out on any days worth of benefits," she said.
Something Williams fears will happen to all those who haven't heard about the new cards.
"There are going to be families and elderly out there, that haven't used all their benefits, haven't used all their cash benefits, and they're going to be stuck, with no way to get food, no way to pay their bills, because no body let them know," said Williams.
No letters have been sent out to EBT card holders, but DCF representatives say plenty of notice will be given to card holders once a deadline is set.
- Fast Food for the Homeless: EBT Pilot Program
- Alachua County Half Cent Sales Tax Expires
- Judge Denies Zimmerman Deffense Motion to Push Back Trial Date
- Scott Resets Execution Date of Thomas Knight
- Wild Waters Receives Renovations, Opening Date is Tentative
- Gator WR Rainey Arrested For Dating Violence
- Miller's Missed Court Date
- Man Offers Gator Football Ticket in Exchange for Date With Daughter
- Satchel's Pizza Sets Reopen Date
- Teenagers Hope to Curb Dating Violence