Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Sweep for Sexual Offenders
It was a sweep meant to keep sexual offenders and predators in line with their probation. But deputies wanted to reassure families, the danger really isn't that great.
Sexual predators are prohibited from dressing up or even participating in Halloween activities.
But officers patrolled the streets just to make sure. In Alachua County, deputies went door to door to make sure no one violated their probation. Todd Kelly is a spokesman for the Alachua County Sheriff's Office and he says "obviously they're going to gear it towards when kids are trick or treating." But he adds it's important for parents to do their own homework.
If you want to know where sexual offenders and predators are in your neighborhood, simply go online to the FDLE's website. There's a page where you can search your own home's area within a one mile radius.
In a one mile radius around WCJB, there are 21 listed sexual offenders. Within that one mile radius is the Mile Run subdivision. Chelsea Slaten is a resident.
"That's crazy because I guess this is a little more on the outskirts of town, but that's still crazy. This is a huge neighbhorhood and I can only imagine how many people we probably run into every day who are sexual predators."
Still, Kelly says the sweep is not as dramatic as you might think. Offenders aren't usually committing any kind of crime on Halloween because of the increased surveillance. He says "it's rare that it's an offense-related matter, it's usually a failure to change the address or a failure to notify the courts, a failure to register within the specified time period."
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Alachua County Pastor Arrested for Sexual Assault
- Alachua County Sheriff Defends Deputies
- Funding for Alachua County school resource deputies
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview
- Levy County Deputies Make Second Meth Bust in Two Days
- Deputies Will Sport New Body Cameras in Marion County
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- RTS Bus And Sheriff's Deputy Car Involved In Crash
- Marion County Sheriff's Citizens Academy Back After 12 Years