Girls and Guns in Gainesville
You know, it's a typical girl's day out: sunshine, catching up with friends, lunch out, and...shooting high powered rifles? Most of the women here have never fired a shotgun before, but today, the NRA and the Gator Skeet and Trap Club are hosting the "Women on Target" event to change that.
Range Safety Officer Martin Krpan says "I think this is a good opportunity for women to be around guns when someone that knows what they're doing can teach them properly safety and then have fun doing it. They're around guns instead of just hearing a loud bang, you know, they're the ones pulling the trigger."
Pulling the trigger and every now and then hitting some skeet.
"Oh, yes," says participant Sheena Hill. "I've definitely become more comfortable and I hit one."
Some are here to lose their fear of guns, others want to know how to handle themselves with a gun if they're in a dangerous situation, and some just want to have a good time. The women are lined up in rows and then given personal trainers to help them shoot. All are given the safety gear needed for the range...earplugs and glasses with a solid understanding of when to get out of the way.
Safety is definitely a primary concern at the range. The women are taught to always keep the muzzle of the gun pointed up or across the range at a safe angle. They're also taught the basic safety of the gun they're using, then the officers help them overcome any nervousness they bring to the table.
"After I got here and got in the class I was a little bit nervous," says Gloria Markham, an employee of First Federal Bank of Florida, "but after we got out here and got the first round, it's a lot better."
Sure enough, most of the women said they would definitely be back.
- Gainesville Pellet Gun Racist Arrested
- Felon Gun Bust in Gainesville
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Having Sex With 11-Year-Old Girl
- Girls Place of Gainesville Providing Summer Volleyball Camp
- Gainesville Man Charged With Sexual Battery of 14 Year Old Girl
- Gainesville Man Arrested For Molesting Teenage Girl on Black Friday
- Gainesville Girl Making the Most of Life with Arthritis
- Gainesville Man "Picks Up" a 14 year old Girl
- 15 Year Old Girl Shot and Killed in Gainesville Parking Lot
- New Girls-Only Sport Rolls Into Gainesville