The Next Big Thing: 3DS
What do you get when you lock a room full of college students in one building for three days?
What could be the next big idea in business. A "browser add-on" is one of many ideas coming out of 3DS, or "Three Day Startup." It would be searching this highlighted text, within that website... so it would save a lot of time.
3DS is an international non-profit educational program that challenges university students to start tech companies in three days. Organizers say the 3DS model works.
"There's been 12 3DS events around the United States and the world, and out of 12 events, 14 companies have actually come out of it and received actual seed funding," said Zack Chang, 3DS Coordinator. Like "Famigo" a family media app, and "Take My Car," which launched out of Germany, and helps private individuals share cars in real time. These thinkers are the cream of the crop.
This year, 80 applied for the 3DS event. and only 35 made the cut. They study everything from food science to law, and will develop the four best ideas that come out of the brainstorming session.
"Very very motivated, the people here, they're the type of people that on their down time, they're always thinking about the next tech start up," said Chang.
- Wrapping Things Up
- Bright Futures a Thing of the Past?
- Things Back To Normal At SFCC
- Property Tax Cuts A Bad Thing?
- Looking for Things to Do This Weekend?
- Kids Learn About Things That Go Vrrrooom!
- One Thing you Won't See in Downtown Ocala this Holiday Season
- Big Paddling? Big Success!
- Big Win for Florida Gators, Big Loss for Underage Drinkers at Tailgating Parties
- Big Step For Big Dock