Penn State's Dark Secret
A major institution has been rocked by a terrible scandal that victimized children.
Experts say the dark secret that's surfacing at Penn State University, is still a dark secret elsewhere, involving a vulnerable group.
Former assistant Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky was arrested Saturday on 40 counts of sex crimes against minors.
Director of Alachua County's Rape Crisis Center, Loretta Golden isn't blaming the parents of Sandusky's young victims, but she says parents can notice some red flags.
"If a child is having trouble walking and sitting, it may indicate that something is going on... if a child is all of a sudden, maybe is turning to addiction, is abusing substances, alcohol, problems with relationships.. poor eye contact... don't want to get undressed in front of dad where by in the past that was not an issue," she said.
Golden says it's difficult for a young woman to come forward and report sexual abuse, but it's even harder for a young man.
"It has a lot to do with what they're taught from an early age; you be strong, you protect yourself, and if you cant do that, then there's something wrong with you," she said.
Golden says in Florida, one in six boys will become a victim of sexual abuse by the age of 18.
"It needs to be made right," she said.
Based on her professional experience, Golden suspects there will be more victims coming forward in the scandal.
"People who sexually abuse children don't do it one time and stop, they continue to do it, and they do it over and over," she said.
- Governor Scott Touts Job Growth at Annual 'State of the State' Address
- Florida Supreme Court Upholds State's Drug Law
- Gainesville: state's first 'Welcoming City'
- UF's Academic Future Bright Despite State's Dull Economy
- Silver Springs Now Under State's Wing
- Fate of Silver River in State's Hands
- School Officials Blame Dip in Grades on State's Changes to F-CAT
- State's Largest Fire Continues to Burn in North Central Florida
- Authorities Searched Aaron Hernandez's Secret Apartment
- Satchel's Secrets