UF Employee In "Serious" Condition
To witnesses, it looked like a horrific and possibly deadly crash.
A woman vaulted from her scooter on impact in the middle of rush hour.
However, as of 7PM Tuesday night, things are looking up for the University of Florida employee.
"I hope it wouldn't take something like this, to make that happen," said Laura Hilburn, who adds she didn't see a helmet on the UF employee critically injured in the crash.
"It could've been anybody," she said.
Hilburn, a manager at Cody's restaurant, ran out to help the woman, who she says still had her backpack on and was lying behind the car that hit her, far from where her scooter was.
"The injuries to the person on the scooter were significant; traffic homicide investigators were called out," said Sgt. Tscharna Senn, with the Gainesville Police Department.
According to police, the woman remained in the ICU on Wednesday, in serious condition
The man behind the wheel of the car was not hurt, according to police.
"We mark everything, we kind of corner off the area, we stop two lanes of the east bound traffic, so that we have the most accurate account of what happened today," she said.
Police say the best witness they have drove back to the scene to give a statement about an hour after the crash, which is still being treated as a traffic homicide.
Hilburn hopes the best for the young woman she saw today, and will never forget.
"I just kind of feel weighted. I'm just hurt, and I just hope she's okay, and I just feel bad for all the parties involved," she said.
- One Man Dead, Another in Serious Condition After Marion County Car Crash
- Shooting Leads to Captain's Death and Man in Serious Condition at Shands
- Children Found Living in "Deplorable" Conditions
- Alachua County Employees Will See Pay Raise to "Restore" Pension Contribution
- Four Employees "Locked Out" of Alachua County Jail
- 100 Nationwide Employees "take action" in Gainesville
- Fire Seriously Damages Apartment Building
- Motorcylist Seriously Injured, Attacked By Wild Turkey
- Child, 2, Seriously Injured After Crawling Under SUV
- Motorcycle Crash Seriously Injures Two in Suwannee County