Gilchrist County Receives Grant to Start Kids Back Pack Program
It's a gift that could not have come at a better time.
That's what local food bank officials are saying about a 20 thousand dollar grant that will allow them to feed hungry children throughout the school year.
Staff at Gilchrist County's Senior Citizen Food Pantry just found out they received the grant, which will help them jump start a kid's backpack program.
Food bank director, Rick Weder said the program will allow hungry children -- many whose only meal is at school -- to be able to take home food each weekend.
It's a grant they've been trying to get for six years. Weder said the good news has him on cloud nine.
The new backpack program will officially start this coming school year.
In the meantime, you can help by donating backpacks, preferably ones with rollers.
Donations will be accepted at the Senior Citizens Food Bank in Trenton. Address is listed above.
For more information, contact Rick Weder at 352-463-2710.
- New Gilchrist County Backpack Program Feeds Kids
- Performance Program Gets Grant For Kids
- County Health Department Receives Grant, Plans to Expand Hours
- Marion County HazMat and Urban Search and Rescue Teams Receive Federal Grant
- Gilchrist County Backpack Program
- Gilchrist County Students Head Back to School Monday
- Local Woman Receives Grant from Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America
- Gainesville Airport Receives $998K Grant
- Reichert House Receives Grant
- Williston Police Department Receives $24,097 Grant