Holidays Away from Home for Gainesville Firefighters
While many Gainesville residents are gathering with loved ones for the holiday season, local firefighters are making sure they can do so safely, working Christmas and Christmas Eve. But most firefighters I spoke to said they're a family, too...
So on Christmas Eve, they cooked a big breakfast, ate it together and then went out to control some fires. At the end of the day, they say it's all about working with friends.
"It is a little different," Paramedic John Dowling says, "you're used to being at home but it couldn't be easier if you had to be away with the group of people that are here."
Keith Saunders added, "it's Christmastime, and so we draw a lot of strength and peace knowing that if you need us, we're here."
Firefighters work 24 hour shifts, but then have a few days off., so those who work the holidays will get a chance to spend time with their other families.
- Protecting Your Home while You're Away for the Holiday
- Home Away From Home; Thanksgiving at the Ronald McDonald House
- Missing Alachua County Woman Found Alive Just Yards Away From Her Home
- 92 Animals Seized from Gainesville Home
- Firefighters Extinguish Small Electrical Fire At Ocala Nursing Home
- Parent Wants Bus Stop Moved Away From Sex Offenders
- Kindergartener Walks Away From School
- Gainesville Firefighters are Trying to "Fill the Boot"
- Firefighters Extinguish Fire At Gainesville Park
- Gainesville Businesses Work to Draw in Crowds During Gator Away Games