Disabled Elderly Man Robbed, Then Left For Dead
A quiet Northwest Gainesville community came together with more questions than answers about what happened to their friend, 78 year old Paul Quandt.
The disabled navy veteran's home was robbed just before midnight Monday night by a man and woman wearing black masks.
Quandt was beaten, tazed with a stun gun and stabbed before the two robbers took off with belongings from a safe in his home in his white Cadillac.
The elderly man used cooking oil to free himself, get on a scooter and call for help before he slipped into a coma.
Eventually GPD spotted the white Cadillac on Northwest 13th Street.
After a high speed chase, the driver lost control and hit two cars at Southwest 5th Avenue and 13th Street.
23 year old Austin Jones was driving the car and was arrested by police but was taken to Shands for critical injuries.
There may have been warning signs Quandt would become the victim of such extreme and senseless violence, his neighbor says he feared he would was being robbed before.
Jones has been charged with home invasion robbery and attempted murder.
GPD is still investigating a possible connection between Quandt and the suspects.
Quandt underwent surgery at Shands to reduce the swelling around his brain, he is still in critical condition.
Once Jones recovers he will be taken to Alachua County Jail and will be charged with home invasion robbery and attempted first degree murder.
- Deputies: Suspect Who Robbed Gainesville Walgreens Found Dead In His Backyard
- Elderly Couple Found Dead In Lake City Home
- Elderly Couple Found Dead in Home
- Woman Robbed at Deadly Accident Scene
- Elderly Couple, Dozens of Animals Dead
- Elderly Woman Found Dead in Home
- Man Arrested For Sexual Battery of a Mentally Disabled Teen
- Family of Missing Disabled Man Calls in Texas Equusearch
- Search For Intellectually Disabled Man Asking For More Volunteers
- Intellectually Disabled Man Still Missing in Ocklawaha