Man Shot By Marion County Deputy
A Marion County man is dead after a deputy used lethal force during a traffic stop. Marion County sheriff's Steve Simpson pulled over 26-year-old Michael Smith at the corner of County Roads 25 and 464-C in Ocklawaha.
Investigators say Smith refused to show his license, then sped off in his Nissan pickup truck....dragging the deputy. While being dragged at fairly high speed, Simpson fired shots..hitting Smith. The truck then smashed into the side of a building. Simpson received only minor injuries after being thrown from the truck. He's on paid administrative leave during the investigation which could take up to 45 days. Smith was known to the law, having been arrested on multiple occasions on charges ranging from weapons, drugs to retail theft.
- Marion Deputies Search For Man Who Shot Andre Thomas
- Man Shot by Dixie County Sheriff's Deputy
- Man Shot by Deputies after Domestic Dispute
- Keystone Heights Man Fatally Shot by ASO Deputies
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy Shot
- Shots Fired Near Marion County School
- Marion County Deputy Arrested for Soliciting Prostitution
- Marion County Deputy Resigns, Charged with Battery on Pregnant Wife
- Marion County Deputy Arrested