Man Shot By Marion County Deputy
A Marion County man is dead after a deputy used lethal force during a traffic stop. Marion County sheriff's Steve Simpson pulled over 26-year-old Michael Smith at the corner of County Roads 25 and 464-C in Ocklawaha.
Investigators say Smith refused to show his license, then sped off in his Nissan pickup truck....dragging the deputy. While being dragged at fairly high speed, Simpson fired shots..hitting Smith. The truck then smashed into the side of a building. Simpson received only minor injuries after being thrown from the truck. He's on paid administrative leave during the investigation which could take up to 45 days. Smith was known to the law, having been arrested on multiple occasions on charges ranging from weapons, drugs to retail theft.
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- Deputies searching for shooter; former marine shot in ATM parking lot
- Deputies find man shot in leg
- Marion county man found shot to death in car
- Man shot, killed in Fort McCoy home
- 33-year-old man shot and killed in Silver Springs home
- MCSO: Sergeant, man shot during standoff
- Man dies after being found shot in car
- Man shot and killed in home invasion robbery
- Marion County Sheriff's Deputies arrest man involved in armed robberies