New Gilchrist County Backpack Program Feeds Kids
Most children have backpacks filled with supplies for school...some others also need backpacks filled with food for home. Thanks to a $20,000 dollar grant from the JR Albert Foundation (located in Illinois), needy school children in Gilchrist County will have both.
Community leaders gathered at Trenton Elementary School Thursday to drop off the first load of backpacks filled with food for kids.
The Senior Citizens Food Pantry, Bread of the Mighty, Trenton Volunteer Firefighters, School officials and other community organizations have all pitched in to find the food and backpacks necessary to feed 90 school children each week (30 from three different schools).
If you would like to get involved contact Rick Weder at 352-463-2710.
- Gilchrist County Backpack Program
- Gilchrist County Receives Grant to Start Kids Back Pack Program
- Food4Kids Backpack Program Ramps Up
- Backpack Program Ensures Kids Won't Go Home Hungry for the Holidays
- Teens Brings Backpacks to Kids
- Summer Program Hopes To Keep Kids Out of Trouble
- Fewer Kids enrolled in EDEP Summer Program
- Performance Program Gets Grant For Kids
- Local Program Offers Kids With Disabilities A Chance To Play
- Meet the Field to Become the Next Gilchrist County Sheriff