Black In Gainesville Part 3
The tough economy coupled with a lack of job training has left some with few options for work.
But one school in east gainesville is providing that and an opportunity some kids may not see otherwise.
In our third special report of "Black in Gainesville" TV 20'S Duke Carter found a cooking program providing another avenue for kids in East Gainesville to go to college.
They're prepping for a cooking competition.
"we ordered it like a week ago."
To cook special dishes...
On this burner in just under a hour.
"really good I don't see the leaks until…there"
That'll be judged by professional chefs.
"but it taste good did you taste it?"
"I always thought cooking would be fun."
Fourth year Antron Thurman….
"I never knew like programs like this."
That has helped him with not only time management…
"I got a chance to start my career."
"keeps me out of trouble."
But he isn't the only one.
"line cook and dishwasher."
Senior Branesia Markham says because of the lifestyle she's lived….
"this program has made me realize like some of the stuff I've been doing I shouldn't have…
She's on a team in a management program to present a new restaurant to actual general managers.
"right here is the refrigerator and cooler."
"and this program has assisted me"
To find a job at "Embers" restaurant in town.
"I guess he liked me cause I've been there for about a year now."
"they have a system you can call in."
Chef Billie Denunzio OR Chef De has been teaching for some time.
And has seen of all backgrounds make changes to their lives from this culinary program.
"and it always shocks them some of the things they can do a beautiful job with oh my gosh look at what I did you know how good that would
So we wanted to test that theory.
After getting into a chef's uniform it was time to dice an onion.
"which knife do you I use…the chef knife…which one is the chef knife…the big one!"
Had a bit of struggle trying…
nats of pots on stove
And had a harder time sauteeing the onion.
"you want to cut something else…no we're good."
In the end Chef De's students are ready to handle the real world.
Duke Carter TV20 News.
- Black In Gainesville Part 1
- Black In Gainesville Part 2
- East Gainesville Initiative Will Host One- week Camp for East Gainesville Residents
- Gainesville City Commissioner Wants To See Changes In East Gainesville Redevelopment
- Special Commission Meeting In East Gainesville
- Super Walmart Center Boon to East Gainesville Economy
- North East Gainesville Shooting
- Leaders Partner for East Gainesville
- Ribbon Cut on $1 Million Dollar Renovation Project in East Gainesville
- East Gainesville family fights mold...with the help of a "Superhero"