Clay County Deputy Killed
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Clay County Sheriff's Office narcotics detective investigating a tip related to drugs at a Middleburg home and another man have been killed in a gunfight.
The Florida Times-Union Ireports that spokeswoman Mary Justino says 35-year-old David White was a nine-year veteran of the sheriff's office when he was killed Thursday evening.
Five men are in custody and no information was immediately released on the other man who was killed.
Justino says a small group of detectives tried to speak to a man at the door when it was slammed shut. She says shots were fired when the detectives tried to force their way in.
Matt Hanlin, a second detective, was shot in the arm and received surgery at Orange Park Medical Center.
- Clay County man shot and killed in front yard
- Woman Shot and Killed in Clay County
- Prostitution Bust Sends 16 To Clay County Jail
- Deputies catch sexual predator wanted in connection with abduction, murder
- Putnam County Deputy Hits, Kills Pedestrian Crossing U.S. 17
- Former Marion County Sheriff's deputy killed in crash
- Former Marion County deputy killed in traffic crash
- Skateboarder Killed in Early Morning Crash
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- Clay County Teenager Severely Injured in Storage Barn Shooting