Clay County Deputy Killed
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Clay County Sheriff's Office narcotics detective investigating a tip related to drugs at a Middleburg home and another man have been killed in a gunfight.
The Florida Times-Union Ireports that spokeswoman Mary Justino says 35-year-old David White was a nine-year veteran of the sheriff's office when he was killed Thursday evening.
Five men are in custody and no information was immediately released on the other man who was killed.
Justino says a small group of detectives tried to speak to a man at the door when it was slammed shut. She says shots were fired when the detectives tried to force their way in.
Matt Hanlin, a second detective, was shot in the arm and received surgery at Orange Park Medical Center.
- Putnam County Deputy Hits, Kills Pedestrian Crossing U.S. 17
- NTSB Rules in 2011 Helicopter Crash in Clay County
- Clay County Detective Funeral
- Clay County Teenager Severely Injured in Storage Barn Shooting
- Prostitution Bust Sends 16 To Clay County Jail
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- Local Wildfires Keep Burn Ban in Effect: Clay County Blaze Now Burning
- Phone Solicitation in Clay County
- Missing Clay County Man Found In Gainesville
- Service for Clay County Sheriff's Detective