Community Pays Homage To Legendary Leader With Building Dedication
He is a legend in his community; a dynamic leader who created a safe haven for children when often their lives were filled with instability.
Friday, the community that Clarence R. Kelly loved so much honored him by dedicating a community center in his name.
The Clarence R. Kelly Community Center and Park was dedicated in recognition of the man who served as director there for 35 years.
Many who came said they are in their forties now, but were children when they met the 6-foot-5 Kelly.
He taught them about hygiene, how to tie their shoes, how to share and how to resolve their differences without fighting.
But beyond the simple lessons, several of Kelly's former students say he became a father to them.
And because of Kelly, three generations of educators, police officers, and lawyers were produced.
A wall mural paying homage to Kelly's legacy was unveiled at the ceremony. It showcases Kelly, his grandson, and several other children who attened the recreation center in northeast Gainesville.
- Local Leader Called Driving Force Behind Community Center Opening
- Community Leader Killed In Car Wreck
- Community Leader Honored with Sports Complex
- Instead of Jail, Some Leaders Want Community Service
- Friends, Family, and Colleagues Gather To Honor Community Leader at Retirement Party
- Community Leaders Call for Peace in Wake of Racially-Charged Violence
- NAACP Awards Banquet Recognizes Community Leaders
- Honoring a Fallen Hero
- Family, Orange Park Community Says Goodbye to Somer Thompson
- Archer Celebrates Grand Opening of Community Center