Getting their "Swagger" Back
It was a kick off event for one neighborhood in Southwest Gainesville that's trying to get their "swagger" back.
The plan is to renovate buildings to help kids after school.
TV 20'S Duke Carter reports, residents who live in the area say the new buildings will help single moms.
"its been needed for a very very very long time."
Miriam Gonzalez has lived in the Southwest Gainesville Area for...
"believe it or not it will be twenty years in april."
And has seen this community change.
"a lot, a lot."
This community has seen a lot of crime.
"at times I wanted to move out"
Officials from the Southwest Advocacy Group or SWAG held a kickoff ceremony to announce they will be renovating two buildings.
"this is really going to be wonderful out here,"
One will be used as a health clinic.
The other will be used to tutor and mentor students in after school programs.
And the kids will be able to take a break in this space, which will be converted into a playground.
"hopefully this is going to help them tremendously ."
SWAG officials say the county commission gave 225 Thousand Dollars to purchase and renovate the buildings.
The organization will renovate the buildings to use for children.
"we're going to wrap our arms around these kids and we're going to give em what they need so they can thrive and succeed in school."
And that's something Miriam Gonzalez can applaud.
"I hope and pray they continue support in this community "
The new buildings are something residents hope will bring a brighter future to Southwest Gainesville.
Duke Carter TV 20 News
The renovation is expected to start on Monday.
Oelrich Construction was awarded the job and will contribute some building supplies to the project.
"SWAG" Officials hope to be in the buildings by April.
- New Medical Center Opening in Southwest Gainesville
- Man Shot in SouthWest Gainesville
- "Rich Get Richer, Poor Get Poorer" in Gainesville
- Marion County Sheriff's Deputy Will Not Be Getting His Job Back
- Alachua County Resident Get's A Big Gift from the County
- Alachua County Cut Backs
- FluMist is Back in Alachua County Public Schools
- Biodiesel is Back in Alachua County
- Marion County Citizens Fight to Get "Amendment 11" Passed
- Alachua County School Bus Drivers Get Small Pay