Ohio Shooting Hits Home for Former Teacher
It happened on the other side of the country.
But to a woman from Newberry... the school shooting near Cleveland this morning is as close as her fondest memories.
Thats because she taught there for more than 30 years.
The community of Chardon, Ohio is mourning the death of a student... and the wounding of four more.
TV 20'S Duke Carter reports... a woman here is sharing their shock and grief.
Helen Wagner taught at the Chardon middle for 31 years.
Its on the same campus as the high school where the shooting took place.
She found out about the shooting in a phone call but didn't believe it at first-- until she saw our newscast at noon.
She offers sympathy for the families involved in the shooting.
"complete shock nothing at that magnitude has ever happened at our school."
Former P.E. teacher Helen Wagner shocked a shooting happened at her former walking grounds.
" never, never this is a wonderful community people are now bringing their families in to be part of our schools.
The call came in at 7:38.
Students say they were eating breakfast when shots were fired by the suspected shooter 17 year old T.J. Lane sitting at a table by himself.
"we heard a loud pop like a firecracker, and I turned around and I look and he was standing above the table, pointing and he took one more shot."
Mueller says he saw a friend lying on the table and another in a pool of blood.
They say another shot was fired.
A school football coach later chased the suspect off school property and into the woods where he was later arrested.
Wagner--- here in Florida is still in touch with her former neighbors.
"I hope the community will heal."
There was a candlelight vigil tonight for the victims they'll be more tomorrow evening.
Lane is expected for first appearance in court tomorrow.
Duke Carter TV 20 News.
- Former Dunnellon Teacher and Crew Blast Off!
- Former North Central Florida Teacher Accused of Murder
- Ocala Home Hit by Home-Made Acid Bomb
- Former UF Student Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison for Deadly Hit-and-Run
- Florida's State-Wide Budget Cuts Hit Home for UF Professors
- Iranian Election Hits Home
- Supreme Court Decision Hits Home
- School Shooting Leaves 4 Wounded in Ohio
- 1 Dead, 4 Wounded in Ohio High School Shooting
- Second Student Dies in Ohio School Shooting