Southeast Gainesville Rape
It may be a long time before a woman from Southeast Gainesville will comfortably venture out after dark.
She reported that she was raped while walking home last night.
TV 20'S Duke Carter reports the woman was walking home by herself because she missed the last bus
Police say it happened in a wooded area like this around 9 Monday evening.
Residents I spoke to say they hope the woman will never experience anything like this again.
"I hope she learn for this mistake and not roam in the street by herself."
Brianna Parker has lived along East University Avenue since.
" I was like elementary very long time."
And says the area she lives is safe.
" well where I stay at its quiet."
But that changed yesterday evening when police say a 26 year old woman left a friend's house alone.
" nah uh, I wouldn't be walking home by myself."
That's when detectives say a man pulled her backpack dragging her into the woods.
They say the victim felt a sharp object -- in her back.
"he did threaten to kill her if she shouted out for help."
Police say the suspect then pinned the victim face down to the ground --- raped her and ran away.
"I'd try to call the police and run…I'll fight. yeah that too."
"please call for a ride to possibly get picked up and if you are going to be walking out and about make sure someone knows where you going and what time you're supposed to arrive."
ants of bus passing by
But residents hope police will catch the man responsible.
" well for one the man who did it he needs to get in trouble cause that wasn't right you taking her privacy….
Police have not yet identified a suspect but they do believe he's black...about 5-10 and was wearing dark colored clothes with a dark hoodie.
The victim was taken to shands hospital to be treated for her injuries.
Duke Carter TV 20 News.
- Residents in Southeast Gainesville Vote "No" on Annexation
- Only Grocery Store in Southeast Gainesville To Close
- Authorities Searching For Suspects Who Raped An Ocala Woman
- Report: Woman Beaten and Raped at Hotel
- A Man Identifies Himself as an Officer, then Rapes a Woman
- Gainesville Man Accused of Raping UF Student
- 4th Annual Southeast Regional Firefighter Combat Challenge
- Gainesville Woman's Death Ruled Homicide
- Woman Murdered in SE Gainesville
- Woman Killed at Gainesville Regional Airport