Veterans Surprised with Silver Star Banner
They fought in America's wars that are more most recent and most distant in memory.
Two of North Central Florida's heroes-- linked forever by the memory of war... and the honor of their sacrifice.
A veteran of World War II and a veteran of Iraq thought they would be sharing their wartime experiences tonight.
TV 20's Duke Carter reports...the tables were turned.
"a hero, i am not a hero."
His friends say army Sgt. Caitlin Mixson of Williston is selling himself short.
"the guys losing their lives fighting for our country those are heroes."
After speaking about his experience in Iraq to the Military Support Group of Alachua County…
"we will be forever grateful."
Mixson was badly wounded in a roadside bombing in Iraq in 2007.
He was surprised with a new award to go along with the Silver Star he earned the Silver Star Banner.
"you goin make me wanna cry. "
But he wasn't the only one
"we'd like to present to you the silver star banner."
Marine veteran Bob Gasche also spoke about his experience.
He fought in the battle of Iwo Jima during WWII and the Korean War.
" one of the great privileges of my life to serve my country during WWII and the Korean War."
Both were surprised to receive their awards.
"it brought tears to my eyes and i don't cry, i'm a man."
"i had no idea this would take place so i'm truly honored this flag given me and this banner."
And they will be forever grateful to a community that supports those in combat.
Volunteers say they'll honor another veteran with the Silver Star Banner in April.
That ceremony will be a surprise as well.
- Surprise Source of Donation For World War II Veterans
- Area 96 Year Old World War II Veteran Awarded Bronze Star
- Two Aboard Small Banner Plane Injured During Crash At UF
- How volunteers surprised event coordinators at the LPGA Tour in Ocala
- Navy Dad Surprises Teen at High School Graduation
- A Father's Day Surprise
- Buchholz High School Students Preparing Taxes, Some are Surprised
- Holiday Surprise For Patients At The VA Hospital
- Soldier Surprises Son in Time for Christmas
- Michael Bargo Takes the Stand in a Surprise Testimony