County Aiming to Hire more Local Businesses
Marion County Commissioners are pushing to hire local vendors instead
of those from outside of the county.
"Giving as much as possible to local vendors has a trickle down
effect, to you know, their suppliers, to their employees and
everything" Marion County Procurement Services Director, Susan Olsen
From air conditioning vendors to lawn services, they've created a
local vendor directory where those inside county lines can get an
alert when there's a bid for a job.
Marc Sulter of Chinese Connection Painting says he's seen local jobs
go to companies hundreds of miles away. "Tampa and St. Pete, and
Georgia and everywhere coming here to get all the work from the Marion
County guys and then we don't have any work because they're all taken
by people from different towns," he said.
Dennis Dimatteo of First Impressions Printing in Ocala is on that
local vendor list and currently has the contract with the county. That
helps to keep his 15 employees busy and working.
"We really need to support the local businesses because we all live in
the city, we live in the county," Dimatteo said.
Businesses can complete and submit the local business directory
application online at www.marioncountyfl.org/procurement.htm.
Procurement Services will host a vendor open house at its office (2511
SE Third St., Ocala) as part of its campaign on Tuesday, Mar. 27, from
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; at the event businesses can learn more about
how to work with Marion County. Staff members are also scheduling
presentations with local business groups to discuss the basics of
working with the county. To pre-register for the vendor open house
(walk-ins are also welcome) or see about scheduling a presentation for
your business group, contact Procurement Services at 352-671-8444 or
- Two-Thirds of Marion County Fired Teachers Hired Back
- Vendors and Business Owners Ready for Gainesville Art Festival
- New Jobs in Marion County
- Habitat For Humanity Cutting Jobs In Marion County
- Marion County Job Growth on Rise
- In Marion County 160 First Year Teachers Will Lose Their Jobs
- Homeowner Workshops Offered in Ocala and Gainesville
- Hopkin's Prairie Fire Tears Through More than 19-Hundred Acres in Marion County
- MARION COUNTY MEN FACING MORE CHARGES
- More than 50 People Arrested for Drugs in Marion County