Deadly Airboat Accident
Two men stranded in the water, holding onto a single life jacket for hours- one didn't make it.
Phillip Taylor, 64, of Hawthorne was killed when his air-boat flipped and sank in the Rodman Reservoir, his passenger, Raymond Allen, 50, survived with minor injuries.
The accident happened around 8:30 Tuesday morning, about a half mile from the boat ramp at Orange Springs in Putnam County.
Florida Fish and Wildlife officers say the two were in the water for several hours before a man on a canoe pulled them ashore.
Officers have not found the airboat.
An air unit will be deployed Wednesday, according to FWC Captain Jay Russel, to help recover the sunken airboat.
"The water is real shallow here, but there are several deep pockets, roots that make it difficult to find," he said.
An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
- Tragic and Deadly Accidents
- Deadly car accident, 14-year-old driver
- Woman Robbed at Deadly Accident Scene
- County Airboat Curfew Proposal
- Still No Decision on Alachua County Airboat Ban
- Airboat Curfew Does Not Pass
- Curfew for Airboats
- Nighttime Change For Airboaters
- Two Years Later, Alachua County's Airboat Noise Ordinance Goes Unenforced
- Deadly Bus Accident In Ecuador