MotherDaughter Reunited after a Year Deployed
If absence makes the heart grows fonder, no one loves their parents anymore than the children of deployments, which makes their stories that much sweeter.
Few are any sweeter than one in a Marion County School on Thursday, a teenager had just failed a quiz but her mother was far from upset.
"Is there an Amanda Lugo here" the assistant principal of West Port High School asked.
Amanda Lugo is a Junior at West Port High School in Ocala.
After getting a kiss on her cheek, she's meeting someone she hasn't seen in a year.
She was crying while tightly hugging her mom.
"Are you home for good" Amanda asked?
Army Sergeant Amy Lugo, who was deployed to Kuwait, thought she would surprise her daughter in her classroom.
"Did I surprise you" Amy asked?
"She did the same thing to me," her little sister whispered.
Now Amy is happy.
"It was great coming home." she said.
She's happy to see her daughters even though Amanda didn't so well on a quiz.
"What did you make" her little sister asked.
"Like a 42," Amanda replied.
Despite the score Amy says her husband Alcides Lugo, a former Lieutenant Colonel himself held down the fort.
"Overwhelmed, its such a great feeling to be home because a year is such a long time, my husband did a great job on the home front," Amy said.
"it was welcoming and it was a great homecoming for her," Alcides added.
Alcides says now that his wife is back, he won't have to chauffeur his kids around as much.
"I no longer have to be a soccer mom, now I turn the program back to her," he said with a chuckle.
But before Mr. Mom handed over the title he knew his kids would enjoy the surprise of a lifetime, their mom.
"I thought I was going to be in trouble, and then he was like is Amanda Lugo here? And I'm like oh God, what did I do? Then I saw her and ran to her."
And that's just what she did.
Now this family of four is back to being a full unit.
Amy has spent 16 years in the army.
Her unit is stationed at Fort Belvoir, Virginia and says it isn't clear if she'll be deployed again, but for now, she's spending some quality time with her family.
- No New Leads Six Years After Mother/Daughter Murdered
- Woman is Behind Bars After Fighting With her 14 Year Old Daughter
- Daughter of Fallen Officer Remembers Her Father Six Years After His Death
- Mother In Jail After Daughter Found In Closet
- Gun At West Port
- Victim of Sexual Assault Comes Forward After 16 years
- Forest Whips West Port 59-14, North Marion and Trinity Catholic Also Home Winners
- Mother Arrested for Baby Daughter's Murder
- Gainesville Mother Apparently Catches Babysitter Smothering Her 11-Month-Old Daughter
- Eastside High Marching Rams Kick Off School Year