Putnam Deputies Tighten Animal Shelter Security
A Tampa woman was turned away from the Putnam County Animal Shelter Friday afternoon...
She was trying to take pictures of the dogs that were there, in an attempt to advertise and adopt them out.
Many dog lovers are outraged that a citizen was turned away from a public shelter.
The Putnam County Sheriff's Office has run animal control for the past 11 years.
"We denied her access to photograph and have access to the facility till we got a better understanding of who she might be," said Major Gary Bowling.
Bowling says the woman left, with no pictures.
"The people who come to our facility are routine visitors, who we deal with often, the humane society and others," he said.
The sheriff's office has tightened security since last Friday, when eight pit bulls were put down at the shelter.
Animal advocates like Michelle Dunlap, say deputies are picking on pit bulls.
"It is not okay to euthanize pit bulls simply because they are pit bulls, if they are a good dog, no matter the breed, the dog needs to be rescued," she said.
Bowling is concerned with the thousands of hate emails and Facebook posts directed at Sheriff Jeff Hardy and his office.
"We're seeing a lot of traffic that is of course disturbing especially in light of the fact that it's plainly not true," he said.
Some feel the animals still in the county's shelter will die if no one knows about them.
Deputies say they're concerned about the safety of animals and employees at animal control.
Policy is that pit bulls are not allowed to be adopted out.
Deputies say they are halting pit bull euthanizations, unless the pit bull meets the criteria of a dangerous animal.
- National Challenge Encourages Local Shelter To Save Lives
- October is Adopt-A-Shelter- Dog
- Animal Shelter Not Complying With New Law
- Animal Shelter Overcrowding Causes Euthanizations
- Shelters Say They Have No Choice But To Euthanize
- Adopt a Shelter Cat Month
- Bitter Sweet Award for Animal Shelter
- Animal Shelter Gets Agility Equipment Through Student Project
- Putnam County Deputy Hits, Kills Pedestrian Crossing U.S. 17
- Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy Shot