Why Has This Winter Been So Hot?
This is the last full day of winter - if you can call the unseasonably warm temperatures in North Central Florida "winter."
We spoke to one farmer who says he is worried about the upcoming season and has mixed feelings about our warm Florida winter.
On the one hand, the unseasonably warm temperatures have been a plus for Roy Brown's vegetables.
"It enhances their growth really...they grow faster and they are more attractive to the consumer."
But on the other hand their growth was too fast and now he's overproduced...which is bad for the grower but good for the consumer.
"The prices have been a little low because we haven't had all those weather conditions that would decrease production of the crops."
So we wanted to find out why its been so hot this winter.
As UF Assistant Professor Dr. Corene Matyas tells us...weather systems north of florida affect us in the far south.
They didnt get any snow in the great plains and when you have snow cover on the ground it chills the air above it and then that air will move from the northwest down over florida and it will be colder as a result."
But that didn't happen and going into the next months she predicts there's no end for hot temperatures.
"The climate prediction center is showing that we will have above normal temperatures southeastern united states going into the spring
and summer months."
Brown says going into strawberry season this summer he's more worried about the lack of rain and drought...more so than the hot conditions.
The drought is really scary...we're looking at possible water restrictions in the future so that concerns everybody."
So the ride continues, as brown maintains the 50 acres of farmland that's been in his family since the 50's.
- Despite Reinstatement of Death Benefits, NCF Military Families Say Damage Has Been Done
- Man With Eight Aliases Has Been Arrested
- Body Found in Levy County has Been Identified
- Man Beaten on 8th Avenue has Been Taken Off Life Support
- Jack Hill has been missing since Friday
- A man has been charged in a 5 year old Gainesville cold case
- Kirby Family Farm's Dad's Day (and Ducks too..)
- Horse Prices at OBS Winter Mix Sale Higher than Last Year
- Bravo Trial Day 10: Last Text From Aguilar's Phone
- Sales Tax Holiday's Last Day