A Community's Reaction To Zimmerman Charges
"Justice delayed is better than justice denied. but i'm curious just as to why now?"
A question being asked by nearly everyone today.
For some University of Florida students who watched the charges announced live on television, today's decision is comforting on one level but also raises questions about law enforcement's handling of the case.
"Just the racial aspects of it, you know, i think are a big part of it. there was profiling. i think its a play that just can't be ignored."
An opinion shared by community activist, Reverend Milford Griner.
"I think that speaks to the fact that we still have some deep-seeded race issues that we have to talk about, and work out."
He specifically take issue with the state's controversial "stand your ground" law which initially protected Zimmerman from facing criminal charges.
"The stand your ground law is one law that has flaws, and needs to be reviewed."
And after a man in Gainesville claimed to be attacked last week by teens seeking revenge for martin, some in the community now fear more revenge attacks will soon follow.
"There should not be any type of retaliation, or any other comments that's going to hurt anyone else's feelings."
Gainesville's Police Chief says his agency is trying to lower those tensions.
"We're having community meetings thoughout Gainesville, and we would hope that the citizen's of Gainesville will allow the court to try the matter in a court of law."
A sentiment echoed by many as Central florida and the rest of the state now tries to move on.
"We also need to come together in prayer, and in unity, not to use this situation to cause further detriment, but to at least start with some healing."
- Local Reaction From the Sikh Community About Wisconsin Shooting
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Reads Charge to Jurors
- Local Reaction to Pope's Resignation
- Two Events in Reaction to Haile Plantation's Recent Attack
- Gainesville City Commissioners' Reactions to New Police Chief
- Reactions to Terry Jones' Role in the Ongoing Libyan Crisis
- Doctor's Reaction to Louisville Basketball Player Injury
- Boston Marathon Update & Gainesville's Reaction
- Community Leaders Call for Peace in Wake of Racially-Charged Violence
- Criminal Charges to be Filed Against Zimmerman