Deadly Hawthorne Shooting
Persilla Gordon of Cross Town says "guns in the wrong hands" is the cause of the road block that she hit on her way home from work.
"The end result is very saddening, it really is," she said.
Calvin Thomas, 23, was shot to death.
His body was laid out on Southeast 225th way in Hawthorne.
"It appears there was some type of disturbance here is what started this," said Art Forgey, spokesperson for the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies say around 1:00 PM, a large group gathered on the street, and there was some type of fight.
Neighbors say they heard multiple gun shots.
The shooting was felt about a mile away, at Hawthorne High- the school was temporarily put on lock down.
"It was quickly unlocked, obviously there's kids that have to get through the area, and through the bus, so we're just making sure that the kids get through the area and safely, and the crime scene is not disturbed," said Forgey.
Forgey says more than one person may face charges.
"There are obviously several witnesses that we're sorting through right now and getting their information, and we do have one particular person that we're looking for, where that leads, if it leads to others, then we'll go from there," he said.
Gordon feels for the victim's family, but hopes the kids in the neighborhood learn something from all this.
"Try to stay out of stuff like this, you know what I'm saying? You never know what the end result may be, especially when guns are involved, it might just turn out just like this," she said.
- Deadly Crash on US 301 in Hawthorne
- Deadly Shooting in Jacksonville School
- Deadly I-4 Shooting Was a Case of "Mistaken Identity"
- 3 dead in Inglis shooting
- 50 dead in Orlando nightclub shooting, worst in U.S. history
- Shooting at Spanish Trace Apartments; 1 dead, 2 injured
- Deadly Shooting Raises Questions Among Archer Community
- One Dead, Another Injured In Lake City Shooting
- BBQ Turned Deadly Shooting in Suwannee County
- Drive-By Shooting in Belleview Leaves 1 Man Dead and 1 Injured