Top Ten Crash Intersections in Gainesville
They are the intersections you might want to avoid. Workers from the Metropolitan Planning Organization compiled a list of the top ten crash intersections in Gainesville. They compiled crash data from January 2007 to December 2009. Some people who use the most dangerous intersection don't even know it.
Gainesville resident Chris Potter has been cutting grass at Thirty Ninth Avenue and Thirty Fourth Street for some time.
"I've been working here for almost three years," Potter said.
He cuts the grass weekly and considers himself lucky.
"I think last year a bicyclist go hit on the side of the road," he said.
Since he blows the grass that's already cut while standingon the side of the street as cars drive by.
"They get real close," Potter said.
He has to have the courage to do the job he does.
"Its scary if my boss didn't tell me do it I would not be doing it," Potter said.
Workers from the Metropolitan Transportation Planning Organization created this top ten list of the most crashes in Alachua County. Northwest Thirty Fourth Street and Northwest Thirty Ninth Avenue is number one with the most injuries, twenty six.
"Some of the information that was compiled by the intersection was what we call the crash rate," Marlie Sanderson MTPO Director of Transportation Planning said.
At that particular intersection just over 50 percent of the accident victims were rear ended and that most of the crashes happened during the weekday in the five o'clcock rush hour. Transportation officials hope this information will make things safer.
"Well the hope is that to identify changes to the traffic signal," Sanderson said.
But Potter says to get through his tough job he blocks the danger out of his mind.
"I try not to think about it," Potter said.
Transportation officials say these projects are not related to the projects the county wants to work on if the voters approve a transportation surtax proposal that may go on teh ballot in November.
- Santa Fe College Ranked in Top Ten in the Nation
- UF Top Ten Law School For Hispanics: Magazine
- Dixie County Residents Hope Traffic Changes Will Help Solve Problems at Dangerous Intersection
- Dangerous Intersection
- Bus Stop Safety- Dangerous Intersection in Trenton
- Gainesville Makes Top 20 List of America's Most Romantic Cities
- Gainesville's Next Top Cop
- Storm Causes Tree To Crash Roof of Northwest Gainesville Complex
- Gainesville Woman Dies in Scooter Crash
- Son of Woman Killed in Friday Night Gainesville Crash Speaks