11-Year-Old Helps Local Foster Children
Monday was designated to recognize professionals who look out for the welfare of children.
But one 11-year-old girl is giving foster children a sense of comfort and hope-- one stitch at a time.
Lily Rasco is an 11-year-old from Osceola Middle School who has taken it upon herself to help local children in foster care feel a sense of comfort.
She created "Building Hope through Lily's Closet" early this year after visiting a similar project in Pinellas County.
"Lily came over to visit one day and saw the pillow cases and said why can't we do this for the children in this area," Lily's Grandmother, Leslie Williams said. "I said 'we can, find out what we need to do,' and boy, she took the ball and ran."
Lily learned how to sew and make pillow cases.
She contacted vendors seeking donations to create a duffel bag filled with a travel size pillow, blanket, toothbrushes and a pillow pet for children entering foster care.
"Normally when they come in they don't have any, much of anything, if they do have anything, and this gives them something that they can have," Lily said.
Her grandfather sent her a sewing machine and "The Centers" healthcare facility lets her use a room where every Thursday, Lily and both her grandmothers get to work.
"It's just wonderful because it just shows these other children, that have gone through so much, and we don't know their stories, but we know it's not good, that somebody cares" Williams said.
And cares enough to say that she'll spend her summer trying to fill as many duffel bags as possible while filling her family members' hearts with pride.
"I couldn't be more proud of her," Lily's father, Bryan Rasco told TV20.
Lily was recently named an "Everyday Young Hero" by Youth Service America" in Washington D.C.
After finishing her 33rd duffel bag, Lily says she needs donations and supplies such as new, either made or store bought fleece blankets or quilts, travel size pillows from Walgreens, new toothbrushes and toothpaste.
You can contact Leslie Williams at 352-873-8722 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15-Year-Old Student Stabbed By 11-Year-Old
- Unsafe For Kids? 11-Year-Old Killed
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Having Sex With 11-Year-Old Girl
- 11-year-old Fights for Horse
- Belleview Police searching for a man after an attempted abduction of an 11-year-old
- Deputies: 16-year-old attempted robbery suspect could be charged as adult
- Teacher Accused Of Having Sex With 15-Year-Old, Terminated From School
- Pickin' For Kaedyn, Helping 3-Year-Old Leukemia Patient
- 17-year-old dies in crash; 19-year-old injured
- Report: 15-Year-Old Race Car Driver Broke Neck, Suffered Severe Head Trauma