City Commission Surtax
Published May 3rd, 2012
The Gainesville City Commission voted 5-0 to direct staff to develop a list of road and transit projects for the surtax proposed for the November ballot. There's actually two proposals forwarded by the Alachua County Commission...A 15 year 3 quarter of cent tax for the roads and 15 year 1 quarter of a cent tax for transit.
There were mixed feelings on the city commission today.
Commissioner Todd Chase believes now is not the time to impose a tax while Commissioner Mastrodicasa says this is an opportunity to fund projects they couldn't before.
The commission heard from staff about which projects, specifically bus rapid transit.
Commissioner Scherwin Henry says some of the projects can pass just as long as the commission is transparent about it.
"When the citizens are clearly informed, and they clearly understand, they will support it, the problem comes in when we're not upfront, and frank," Henry said.
They also voted to allow the City Manager and Attorney to discuss with Alachua County officials about the ballot language for the 1 quarter cent tax for transit.
Staff will go through the list of projects and present them to the commission on May 17th.
- Commission Reconsiders Surtax
- Warren Defeats Orlando by 127 Votes in Gainesville City Commission Runoff
- City Commission Plans Second Reading on Driveway Ordinance
- Changes to Gainesville City Commission Public Comments
- Hatchet Creek Development Comes Before Gainesville City Commission
- New Development in Northwest Gainesville? City Commission Plans To Vote Tonight
- City Commission Meeting
- Gainesville City Commission Passes Annexation Ordinance
- Gainesville City Commission Considers Cheaper Alternative, TSM
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission