Couple Pays Tribute to Son Killed in Afghanistan
The heavy downpour in North Central Florida didn't stop one couple from honoring the sacrifice of fallen soldiers -- among them their son who was killed in Afghanistan in 2009.
Bill and Sonya Berky were among the nearly 200 who crowded into the American Legion Hall to commemorate Memorial Day.
The couple said honoring the soldiers is a necessity for them.
It's been 32 months since their son -- an EOD tech -- was killed in an ambush during his third tour of Afghanistan.
He was 25 years old.
While the Berky's say Memorial Day is a day of tears and heartache for them, they know they do not suffer alone.
- Father Honors Memory of Son Killed in Car Crash
- Residents Pay Tribute to Donald Wayne Vincent
- Mothers Speak Out About Sons' Deaths; Plan Memorial Ride
- Father Honors Son's Memory By Helping Kids Swim
- Gainesville Marine Killed in Action in Afghanistan
- Local Marine Killed In Afghanistan
- UF Grad Killed in Afghanistan
- Soldier from Citra is Killed in Afghanistan
- Former Police Captain's Son is Shot, Killed
- Mother and Sons Killed in House Fire; Neighbors Trying to Cope