Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Florida Ranks Lowest in County for Buying Local - Why?
A new study by Rodale ranks Florida last in the nation in accessibility to local Farmer's Markets.
We spoke to an advocate for buying local who says in Gainesville we have "a culture here that really values organic, local food and that's why you see we are the exception to the rule in Florida."
A University of Florida expert agrees and says that Gainesville is a huge provider of local food, but also thinks Florida should rank much higher than it did.
He explained that the study was based on population in comparison to the amount of local food outlets.
Florida's population is so high, and this caused us to rank low on the study.
Florida actually has many more farmer's markets than the top two states on Rodale's list.
The downtown Farmer's Market is every Wednesday.
You can find more information on the Citizen's Co-op here.
- Citizens Co-op: Farmer's Market
- Controversy at the Farmer's Market
- Farmer's Market New Pavilion
- Farmer's Market to Open in Ocala
- How Local is One Farmer's Market?
- Farmer's Market at Downtown Square
- Citizens Co-op Holds Grand Opening
- Food Co-op Urges Residents Buy, Eat Local
- Marion County School District Ranks Third in State for Lowest Administrative Cost
- Downtown Farmer's Garden