Not Your Typical Candidate for Office
He said this year you will see his name on the November ballot because he is running for Suwannee County Sheriff.
"Marijuana is the only crime that is a non, there is no victim. The victim is the person they threw in jail," said Martin.
Martin has no law enforcement experience.
Instead he served time in prison for growing marijuana, but that's not stopping him from running against the current Sheriff Tony Cameron.
"He has no intention of following the law and much less enforcing the law and protecting the the people of Suwannee County," said Cameron.
We asked Martin why he thinks marijuana should be legalized just like alcohol.
"They sell alcohol and it kills thousands of people every year, but the alcohol companies don't get charged for the murders or deaths. Why can't someone smoke a joint that god gave us freely," said Martin.
He thinks it's a good idea to let people grow, sell and smoke pot.
"If we are going to start choosing what we are going to enforce and what we are not going to enforce then we don't need to be in this business," said Cameron.
Cameron also told us if Martin is elected he would not be allowed to carry a firearm because he has been convicted of a felony.
One resident we spoke with gave us his opinion on this highly unusual candidate.
"I would have to think about it, but I would consider it," said Live Oak resident Vito Cordaro.
- Superintendent Candidate Fred Heid Visits UF
- Blair Wins Nomination for Republican Marion County Sheriff Candidate
- Suwannee County Missing Woman Update
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Search grows for hit and run driver in Clay County
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Bradford County Sheriff's Office creates safe place for online sales
- Marion County Sheriff's Office looking into possible connected armed robberies
- Two new puppies join Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office