Proposed Gas Station Fuels Neighbors' Anger
A prized piece of land along State Road 200 in Ocala has become a battleground.
Neighbors in the Heath Brook subdivision say they don't want a new gas station built there.
Resident Greg Hillan says Ocala City Council members are fueling a bad move in his neighborhood.
"They're really not on your side...a 24-hour operation, it doesn't matter what it is, there's a higher chance of crime," he said.
There will soon be a 20-pump RaceTrac gas station in walking distance from Hillan's home.
"You have fuel tankers that are coming in, they're not at a scheduled hour, they're going to be at all hours of the day, you're going to have the congestion there," he said.
City council approved a change to the community's master plan, allowing retail development on the property that's six hundred feet from the nearest houses.
"I think most everyone realizes that those locations, particularly right on 200, are no longer viable as residential locations, there's going to have to be a change of some sort made," said Sonny Allen, spokesperson for the city of Ocala.
Denise Holder's four-year-old daughter has epilepsy, and she's worried about the gasoline fumes affecting her breathing.
"It shouldn't be like that, it should stay just how it is...they want to build stuff, take it somewhere else," she said.
Hillan says neighbors have 30 days to appeal the council's decision.
He started a Facebook group, Meadows at Heathbrook, and a petition has about 60 signatures.
- 8-Year-Old Boy Set on Fire While Playing in Neighbors' Yard
- Environmental Officials Investigate Fuel Tank Leak at Marion County Fire Station
- Investigation Shows Fuel Spill at Marion County Fire Rescue Station Larger than First Reported
- Bad Weather Takes Out Gas Station Pumps
- Motorcyclist Dies After Road Rage Incident at Gas Station
- Allegations of racism at Gainesville gas station. Now family demands justice
- Man enters gas station with fake bomb.
- Drivers flock to gas stations
- Baby born at Gas Station
- Two Gas Stations Robbed in Lake City