Santa Fe College Gunman Arrested
Published May 31st, 2012
The search for a man who pulled a gun on an unarmed student Wednesday on the Santa Fe College Campus has ended. The suspect is behind bars. Twenty year old Darrius Sanders was arrested after police say he walked on to campus and threatened another student with a handgun outside the patio of the food court just before noon yesterday.
Santa Fe College Police say the biggest help was the security cameras installed on campus about a few months ago. They say after talking to witnesses and looking at the surveillance video from cameras , they confirmed Darrius Sanders was the man responsible for the incident.
Police knew his class schedule and they were on campus prepared if Sanders were to return. They arrested Sanders around 10 Thursday morning before he showed for class. They say the surveillance cameras were a big help and allowed them to arrest Sanders quickly.
"The Enhancements in security that we have been putting in place for a couple of months have paid very well in particular, the police department was able to view video of the suspect here on campus on what clearly appeared to be a weapon in his hand," Daryl Johnston, Santa Fe College Police Public Information Officer said.
Police say in the student manual no student is allowed to carry a gun on campus. Sanders is in jail and is charged with weapon violations.
Police say yesterday they sent alerts via text, voicemail, and email to over 7 thousand people notifying them about the gunman. They plan to review the alert system to see if any changes can be made and also informing students and faculty to register their contact information so they can receive notifications.
- Gunman on Santa Fe College Campus
- GPD: Gunman in Apartment Shooting Arrested, Writes About Crime on Facebook
- Legislative Review Santa Fe College
- Santa Fe College President Putting Students and Employees First During Budget Process
- Santa Fe College Launching "Growing Entrepreneurs" Program
- Middle Schoolers Tour Santa Fe College
- Santa Fe College Arts Festival Wraps Up
- Operation CarePak Kicks Off at Santa Fe College
- Software Glitch Shuts Down Santa Fe College Computers
- Santa Fe College "Starts The Bus"